Hexi window table runner!

I am in love. Sigh.

20130513_999 

I started doing more hand stitching in the evenings. My hubby and I like to watch a show or two after the kids have gone to bed. I like to do some hand stitching while we watch our shows. Castle, anyone? Seriously, my favorite show ever. The writing on that is fantastic!

 

20130513_999_9

My LQS is a gorgeous shop that puts together the most fun (but a bit traditional) bundles. I was on the lookout for something happy and spring-y. This bundle of 30’s inspired prints just made my heart skip a beat.

20130513_999_14

 

When I was putting these together, I started thinking about leaving a hole in the middle of the flowers. I thought it would be lovely to see the wood grain of my entertainment cabinet through the holes in each flower.

 

20130513_999_12

 

It did cross my mind to piece together some hexi’s in the same shape for the back. But that just seemed wasteful to me. I didn’t want lovely fabric, carefully hand stitched together, that wouldn’t be seen. What is the point of that?

I wanted a little white outline around the hexi’s, like a frame. I didn’t want to have a binding on the edges.

 

 20130513_999_11

 

I had planned to hand stitch all around the edges of the hexi’s. I ran a blanket stitch around the inside of each hole by hand. And then it sat unfinished and called out my name. “Finish me.”

For Mother’s Day weekend, we had rented an auger machine and some attachments, to drill holes for a fence we want to put up. Our house, apparently is built on a huge rock. Ha! We ran into more HUGE rocks in the ground than we could have planned for. What a mess. I had planned on sewing all day on Mother’s Day. But instead I assisted my dear sweet husband in the dirt. He is such a hard worker. I couldn’t play while he put in so much hard work.

 

20130513_999_3

 

I was determined to finish this little runner on Mother’s Day. So in the evening, when the kids were in bed, I decided to split the difference and machine stitch the outline of the hexi’s down to the white.

I still think it is lovely! I adore the grain of the wood in the windows and I just love the happy fabrics used. It makes me happy to look at it and even more happy to know that it is done! Yay for done.

20130513_999_6

Enjoy!